Do you have an emergency? Call our 24/7 hotline (800) 683-1957
Frequently Asked Questions About Fire Damage
Have your chimney inspected and cleaned every year by a professional
If you have a glass door fireplace covering, leave it open while the fire is burning. This ensures that the fire gets enough air to keep creosote from building up in the chimney. Creosote build-up can block your chimney, causing a chimney fire.
Use a metal screen for fireplaces that don't have a glass door covering
Clear the area around the hearth of flammable items
Never use flammable liquids such as lighter fluid to start your fire.
Only use dry wood - soft, moist wood speeds up creosote buildup in your chimney
Allow hot ashes cooling time before you dispose of them
Never leave a fire in your fireplace unattended and always put the fire out before you go to bed or leave your home
Always place any portable heating devices at least three feet away from flammable objects
Never leave your home or go to bed without turning off your space heater
Never dry wet clothes over a space heater
Check the cord and outlet periodically, if it feels hot, turn it off
Always vent to the outside to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning
Follow manufacturers' instructions very closely
Always allow the heaters to cool down before you refuel them
Never refill these heaters inside your home
Make sure candles are in a stable candle holder
Place candles where they can't be easily knocked down
Never put candles on your Christmas tree
Never leave candles unattended
Have more Questions?